Tuesday, September 8, 2009

helping out an old friend and a sweet reunion


I shed a tear today, but for a good reason. An old friend of mine whom I've known since I was 17, who is originally from Toronto, but ended up in Pittsburgh, PA; where I also lived for many years, needed to see her father who is near 90 and failing. I haven't seen him since I was 17. Now I am 54! Imagine!


My friend does not drive so I got on the Internet, found out a schedule for greyhound and opened up my home in Niagara Falls for her to stay. As my partner was in the Falls for a few days, he drove her over to St. Catharines, Ontario to visit her dad. It might be the last time she sees him as she doesn't get to do so too often. She works two jobs!


After 35 years, I saw the two together, which brought a tear to my eyes.

Getting back to Pittsburgh was no easy task for my friend. There were no busses to Pittsburgh from Buffalo in the afternoon and she could not miss work the next day: capitalism for you! I got on the computer from Warren, Pa, where I am, and called her in Pittsburgh to tell her that she could get to Pittsburgh in the afternoon via Cleveland. The trip would get her home in 5.5 hours.


Well. she visited her father , thanks to Robert who drove her from Niagara Falls, and was able to make the afternoon bus in Buffalo to go home. The picture says it all.


I helped a dear friend and reunited a father and daughter maybe for the last time! God only knows!
By the way, Robert sent me the picture on his cellphone to Warren, where I sent it to my e-mail to post it to the blog! Technology isn't all bad!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's very sweet, John. Do I know her? Its a shame that they were estranged for so long, but thankfully they were given a chance to reconcile before he goes on to the higher side of life.