Monday, August 27, 2007

Aren't all Christians equal in God's eyes? Then why not in humankind's eyes?



I found a lovely Episcopal/Anglican church in Youngstown, NY, a pictoresque town at the upper most western tip of New York State on the scenic Niagara River across from the historic town of Niagara-on-the-Lake Ontario. The church has a small congregation that is neither ultra-liberal nor are they ultra-conservative; in short, somewhat in the middle in their views on liturgy, morality, church issues, etc.

Although I am a newcomer to this congregation, the rector, a very loving, committed lady, assured me that I would fit in just fine. Being in a same-sex partnered, committed relationship, I thought to myself, "isn't this how it should be in churches?" Aren't we all equal in God's eyes, pilgrims on a path, all with our faults, etc.?

The Anglican Communion has been on the verge of schism because of Bishop Robinson being chosen by his community in New Hampshire; which did not meet with approval from some provinces in the world, especially from many in Africa.

My slant on the issue is, even though I might be looking out from within the fishbowl, all people should be welcome, all people are looking for a relationship with God. Who are the others to judge? Does it not state that judging others in the Bible is wrong? When heterosexual clergy are nominated, are their sexual tastes even questioned? Should that be the criteria? Or does committment and love of the Lord count? Hmmm. I wonder.

I believe that there is room for all points of view in Anglicanism. It has a history of that paradigm. A shame those contrary to an accepting viewpoint cannot see that sometimes a balance is the healthiest.

I'm praying for answers. I continue to question.

No comments: