Sunday, September 2, 2007

Blessed Sunday

I attended church at my new spiritual home, St. John's Episcopal Church, a historic church built in the 1870's in Youngstown, NY, a quintessential, small town across from Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario at the end of the Niagara River on Lake Ontario. The town is also known for historic Ft. Niagara.
 
The service at 10:00 was attended by twenty or so people who have been extremely friendly---and didn't even seem rattled to remember my name; even though it is the almost "generic" John. They greeted me with a nod in a most welcoming fashion as I came in a few minutes late to the service. 
 
Rev. Ellen Brauza, the Vicar, a very down-to-earth, kind lady, presided over the service and delivered a most poignant homily, as she has so far every time I have attended. In fact, my dear friend Maggy who visited me from Pittsburgh, was brought to tears by the sermon. She was most impressed!
 
The church was built using a kit back in the 1870's. The architect was Upjohn, whom I am not familiar with. Time to do some Internet research. The church looks like it could be on the coast of Maine, but Youngstown also gives one that feeling. It has a very New England feel to it.
 
In any case, the church was under repair and painting by a local crew. Up until now; even though it has been about a month, I have seen it with scaffolds and ladders leaning against it. It was a relief to see it "by its lonesome" with the basic white exterior and green, arched window frames. It is a most dear place.
 
To me, environment counts so much in worship. I don't want to seem superficial as one could be in a store-front church and be moved beyond words by the congregation, but as for me, I am used to a traditional, rather orthodox liturgy and building. St. John's fits the bill completely.
 
I hope to bring more people to the church with me. So many people who have been turned off by churches because of politics, same-sex descrimination should look a bit further. There are congregations out there, albeit not perfect, that will welcome others. I feel I have found the one I will be happy in---or, to be grammatically more accurate, in which I will be happy. (I am a grammar nut, aren't I)
 
youngs4.jpg (17280 bytes)
 
"You're never safe from surprise unless you are dead".




Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL.com.

No comments: